Mrs. Carolina Desmond, mother of former member Lorraine Burkman, writes to the
Missouri Synod headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, suggesting the
possibility of opening a "mission station" in Columbus Manor,
Illinois. (Columbus Manor is annexed and becomes part of Oak Lawn in
1964.) Mrs. Desmond then canvasses the community, obtains the names of
40 Lutheran families living in the area, and Columbus Manor Lutheran
Mission is formed. The first worship service is held on October 22, 1939,
under the guidance of Rev. Ernest T. Blau, pastor of Concordia Lutheran
Church of Midlothian, who has been assigned to develop the Columbus Manor
Mission. Meetings and services are held in the basement of
the home of Mr.
& Mrs. Edwin Hoppe at 9530 South Merrimac Avenue. A Ladies' Society is organized with
eight members on December 7, 1939, also in the
Rev. Albert G. Hoffman
1940 - The
congregation is organized on April 12, 1940, and named Faith Evangelical
Lutheran Church. Two months later the congregation joins the Missouri
Synod. The first
church building is dedicated on October 6, 1940. The property, on which the parsonage
now stands, had been donated by Mr. & Mrs. Edwin Hoppe.
The Ladies' Society, which now has 25 members, changes its name to Faith Ladies'
1941-42 - An
elementary school, taught by Pastor Hoffman, is opened and held in the church
Rev. Raymond W. Fechner
1944 - The congregation becomes self-supporting.
Miss Edna Hosmann serves as organist.
Rev. Reinhart R. Steinly
A Lutheran boys and girls club, to be led by Miss Edna Hosmann, is organized.
1951 - The
church basement is enlarged to provide more room for Sunday School
Mr. Fred Grube, husband of member Mrs. Anita Grube, serves as choir director.
1954 - The
interior of the church is severely damaged on Good Friday by a fire, possibly
started by the overheating of the church organ.
1957 - The
present church building is designed by architect C.W. Marshall and built
by the Jackman Construction Company. (It is believed that the cornerstone contains pertinent documents.)
1958 - The
present church building is dedicated on March 9, 1958.
- The parsonage is built on the site of the original church building. (The first
parsonage owned by the church was at 97th & Marion.)
1960 - A
charter for Junior Walther League is granted.
Rev. Norman E. Brauer
1962 - The
current Parish Hall, a former grocery store, is purchased as a place to
and Sunday School classes.
Kindergarten classes are held.
1964 - A sewing and craft group is organized by Mrs. Anita Grube for the purpose of making
bandages for cancer patients under the auspices of the American Cancer
Society. Columbus Manor
is annexed and becomes part of Oak Lawn.
1965 - Faith
celebrates its 25th Anniversary. A public address system and a glass block window featuring a red cross
are installed in
1967 - The Oak Lawn
tornado destroys the church's sign and damages the homes of many members.
Rev. Kevin L. Wenker
- Approximately 350 people attend Faith's 40th Anniversary dinner on
October 26, 1980, at St. Paul Oak Lawn. A brick church sign is erected as a memorial to Mr. Ervin
Beckett, former charter member, elder, and father of Miss Donna Beckett,
church secretary. Mrs. Edna Hosmann, organist since 1944, retires.
Rev. Sheldon H. Klietz
groundbreaking ceremony is held for a much-needed addition to the church
building that provides
office space and an interior narthex in which the
members can visit with one another before and after services. (The
photo above shows the church as it looked before the addition.)
Faith celebrates its
Rev. James G. Zimmerman
Rev. Michael R. Gudgel
Karen Gudgel & Pastor Mike
Rev. Richard P. Wertz
Rev. Stephen F. Bocklage
Anna Bocklage & Pastor Bocklage
Rev. Ronald L. Simpson
Rev. Mark Birkholz
Amberleigh Birkholz & family
Faith celebrates its
Rev. Dean Pittelko